Wednesday, May 4, 2011

*Bonus Feature* Tips, Tidbits and Shiny Stuff Part II: It keeps getting better

Merry meet readers. I'm back with the tips, the tidbits and the shiny stuff. Strap yourself in and enjoy the ride because this time I have a lot to say. Ah hell I always have a lot to say. I could go on and on but let's move on shall we?(Ten bucks to who can tell me where I got that from)

Lets talk about Movies.!!!!

As you probably already know, I LOVE movies. If you can only say one thing about me to anyone, It'll be that I watch a lot of movies. Surprisingly enough I thoroughly HATED my intro to film class...go figure. The following movies will be ones that probably everyone in the entire world has already seen but I'm going to write about them anyway.

First up is... Beastly

Beastly is quite obviously a modern retelling of Beauty and the Beast. We all know the story...and probably still have the VHS gathering dust in a closet or in a basement somewhere. However this does deviate from your normal story. Instead of being told from the view of the girl it is told from the view of the "Beast". That I believe is to be commended. This movie is based on a book of the same name by Alex Flinn. Which of course I -being the bookworm and broke college student that i am- bought from Walmart for seven  dollars and read in a day and a half.
Ta Dah.! Book cover
Honestly I enjoyed the book more but I did enjoy the movie. It stars Vanessa Hudgens, Alex Pettyfer, Neil Patrick Harris and Mary-Kate Olsen. Of the entire cast I was most surprised to see Miss Olsen. It was a major departure from every single thing I have ever seen her in. She had some bitching wardrobe though. The movie left out a lot of elements that made me like the book in the first place and added some stuff that didn't make a shit lick of sense in my opinion. But that doesn't really subtract from the film. Although, I think the movie would have impacted me more if I was a doe-eyed 12 year old who still believed in romance and all that jazz. It was cute but I don't think anyone should be that pressed about seeing it.
Rating: 3 

And the next batter up is...Red Riding Hood
Red Riding Hood is the latest effort from Twilight director Catherine Hardwicke. It stars Amanda Seyfried who I have loved since her turn as Lily Kane in one of most under appreciated shows ever Veronica Mars. Like Beastly this is a modern retelling of a story we grew up with. Of course in it's origins Little Red Riding Hood is dark in it's own right. Seriously check these out . Anyway this movie pleasantly surprised me. It was really good. It showed how paranoia could make people do crazy things. Given any reason, humans can and will turn on each other. 
One of the coolest book covers I've seen in a while
Also in the same vain as Beastly, Red Riding Hood has a book that goes along with it. However instead of the movie being based on the book, the book is based on the movie. If you haven't seen it yet I do recommend that you read at least the first three chapters before you watch it as it does clear some things up that weren't addressed in the film. Also whatever theory you have about the identity of the wolf is probably wrong. Just thought I'd put that out there. What surprised me most was Billy Burke's performance. You may or may not know him as Charlie Swan from the Twilight series. I don't think I'll be able to look at him the same way.  Cesaire ( who he plays in the film) is a big departure from Charlie. I commend the guy for his performance. This movie definitely deserves more credit than it has received. I definitely plan on buying it when it comes out on DVD.
Rating: 3.75

Yes we have more ladies and gentleman. Next up is...Sucker Punch

Soooo much hotness
Have I mentioned how nice it is to see Vanessa Hudgens in movies that don't include singing or Zac Efron? It's really a beautiful thing. A beautiful...scantily clad...weapon toting thing. Ahhhh. I'm getting off track here. 
This movie stars Emily Browning, Abbie Cornish, Vanessa Hudgens, and Jena Malone. Oh and other hot girl who's name I forget at the moment. A girl (Browning) is put into a mental institution by her dick of a step father after her mother dies and he hurts her little sister. I myself think it is totally defensible to attack the son of a bitch who attacks your sibling. But that's me. So her and the other girls that she meets while there hatch a plan to get the fuck out of that creepy place.

I can't really say much more about it because I make a conscious effort not to do spoilers. The best performances in the movie were those of  Jena Malone and Carla Gugino. This movie was panned by critics but I think it was amazing. The effects were great and on top of that it isn't based off of a book. In this day and age that is rare
Rating: 4.5

Rounding out this line up is...I am Number Four 

Making his second appearance in this post is Alex Pettyfer

For all you Glee lovers out there Dianna Agron is in the film. And for those of us who enjoy Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Luke is in it. Feel free to hate him. This film was thoroughly amusing. It made me want a Chimera. Watch this one kiddies.
Rating: 4

And we have concluded the movie section of this post. Give yourself a round of applause ladies and gents. Lets move on to some thing else I love. FOOD.!

I want to talk about zeppole. Seriously it is fantastic. And it's simple to make to boot. All you need is
  • butter
  • flour
  • eggs
  • cinnamon 
  • sugar and...
  • water

Put them all together and this is what you get

Seeing as I can't remember the recipe off of the top of my head I'm going to link you to the lovely Giada De Laurentiis's recipe. I've made these 4 times and each time I only got like three before whoever was in my house descended upon them and only left me a small pile of cinnamon sugar
This dandruff looking pile is all I get for my efforts


Let me know how it works for you.

And you have made it to the end. It's time to check out the shiny stuff. Now I have been visiting this site religiously lately. Perhaps it is due to the fact that I need something to laugh at now that I have sent my facebook page to the internet graveyard. No matter the reason. I present to you the hilariously informative CRACKED

Okay what are you still looking at this for. Go try all this stuff out. NOW. GO! SHOO! Of course...check out the song first. Your regularly scheduled rants and stuff shall return when someone new pisses me off.








No comments:

Post a Comment