Friday, July 20, 2012

From my Kitchen Friday: Black Bean Chicken Chilli

Hey lovely people,

It's the end of the week and time for the first installment of FMK Friday. Sadly I won't have pictures taken by me this time around because I worked all week...actually I have to work later but I am committed to this. And I'm going to prove it.

Inspiration: The White Bean Chicken Chilli from Olga's Kitchen. Pair that up with a spinach pie and you have the  best lunch on the planet.

Tweaked because: I'm a rebel and I do what I want. Personally I prefer black beans over white beans but you can use whatever you like.

Ingredients:

  • Chicken Breasts (I use 3) diced
  • Salt
  • Pepper (red and black)
  • Cumin
  • Chilli Powder
  • Garlic powder
  • Bacon (3 strips...plus 1 for snacking)
  • Corn (1 can or small bag frozen)
  • Black Beans (1 can)
  • 3 pepper and onion blend (found in the frozen food section.)
  • Jalapenos *optional*
  • Reduced Fat Mexican shredded cheese
  • Tortilla Chips *optional*

The best thing about this recipe is that it's a one pot thing. You just  throw it into a pot and let it all go. Usually when I make it I end up feeding four or five people depending on their appetites. Plus it doesn't take long to cook however I will say the longer it simmers the better and it's phenomenal on the second day.

Directions:
*This dish is cooked on medium heat at all times. Unless specified*

  1. Brown bacon in the bottom of pot. Remove when cooked through leaving drippings at the bottom
  2. Season raw chicken breast with salt, pepper, and cumin then drop it into the pot. We're seasoning in layers so don't be too heavy handed at this point. Stir
  3. When chicken is almost completely cooked through add peppers and onions. Season with all aforementioned seasonings. stir.
  4. When peppers soften add your corn. Season and stir
  5. Add black beans (liquid and all). Season and stir
  6. Cover pot and let simmer on low for 15-20 minutes.
  7. Lift cover and 1/4 cup of reduced fat cheese and stir.
  8. *Once cheese is completely melted add jalapenos (I used pickled )
  9. Remove pot from heat and add your reserved bacon (crumble it in)
  10. Serve with tortilla chips and a dollop of reduced fat sour cream *optional*
This recipe is always a hit at my house and you don't have to spend all day at the stove. (Even though I love doing that) Try it out and see how it works for you. Send some pics. Tell me your ideas. I send love from kitchen. Have a great weekend

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome to me! What a versatle blog I am loving loving this!!!!!

    ReplyDelete